SCP-720

rating: +128+x
Item#: 720
Level4
Containment Class:
euclid
Secondary Class:
none
Disruption Class:
vlam
Risk Class:
notice

flapper.png

SCP-720-1's base sprite, used to communicate with Foundation personnel.

Object Class: Electronic

Special Containment Procedures: Two copies of SCP-720 are held in separate storage devices. One is permitted to be used in authorized testing, the other serves as a backup copy. Once per year, an inspection is to be performed to ensure that the storage mediums have not decayed and are still readable. It is not permitted to run SCP-720 without written authorization.

Agents embedded with the California Highway Patrol are to monitor the Thomas Kikady cold case and seize any evidence recovered by that or any other authority.

Description: SCP-720 is an anomalous ICRDTA1 program playable on any computing system with read-only memory capabilities.

SCP-720 contains a video game consistent with those produced on the Video Computer System. Players control a single character, designated SCP-720-1, traversing through 9 levels corresponding to a childish rendition of Dante Alighieri's circles of Hell, culminating in a final battle against a representation of Lucifer. SCP-720-1 is able to be equipped with a variety of different items which can be equipped to SCP-720's head or legs2which are required to complete portions of the game.

Occasionally, SCP-720-13 attempts to communicate with the player or otherwise engages in behavior suggesting sapience. These are always one-sided as SCP-720 is not compatible with audio signal inputs. SCP-720-1's vocalizations are "stream-of-consciousness" in nature and are theorized to reflect SCP-720-1's internal monologue.

Discovery: Following the seizure of GoI-0784 related machines from Halden's Arcade5 in South San Francisco, SCP-720 was found to be on a SD card jammed in the coin slot of SWEAT, a standup cross country arcade simulator. Upon SCP-720 being brought near a transport vehicle's disc drive, its anomalous properties were discovered, and it was brought in for testing with an onsite laptop.


Addendum 720/1: Supplemental Files


1 week after bringing SCP-720 into initial containment, Site-28 received a printed scan of box art for SCP-720. No return address, fingerprints, or postmarks were present on the envelope. The identity of the sender is currently being determined.

booklet.jpg

Click to enlarge.

No gameplay manual was attached with this box art, though three photos of gameplay can be seen on the scan. None of the environments6 or enemies7 shown in the scan were present in initial gameplay, instead only first manifesting during the fourth cycle of testing.

Also attached with the box art were two small scraps of paper, with notes written in a messy, hastily sketched font, and a newspaper clipping. Transcriptions are attached below.

TO GET PAST IT

CROWN. THORNS/NOT THORNS, GOLD WREATH, CANNON, COPTER HEAD

RUNNER'S SKATER'S LAVA BOOTS FROM THE CLIMBER FOUND IN AREA E4-7

THE FROLICKERS BOOTIES; NEW ITEM? FROM WHO? REPORT #: MUST CALL precinct
T <3 A

i miss you, i'm sorry i didn't get the chance to say goodbye, or tell you how i feel
or say sorry, that's the main thing

I AM THE KING - HE IS NOT: or amI? WHO knws - voice acting mst be compelted

you're in over your head thomas, you're in over it, you're under it, you're in it, alllllll around it

ambulatory limb sapper hooked up successfully - _TEP 1 COMPLETE

need miniature hockey blades to beat Hushman?- to be found in lvl 3? ice theme checks out, will model l8r

plan it out remember to add it all prior to jump __STEP 2 COMPLETE - crafted, sigil drawn - transfiguration tested __wii, ok, with some breathing needed

6x-23=17 -> 6x=40 -> 3x=20, x=20/3 per location. round to 6? 6. can't have 2/3 of one
well, they left that much
so i guess you can

well
it's done


Attached is the newspaper clipping. Light fading was present on the document, likely due to sun bleaching, age, or contact with an unknown liquid.


SAN FRANCISCO FOGHORN

Your Voice Through It All

San Francisco FEBRUARY 11TH 50¢ - NO REFUNDS

WHERE HAS THOMAS KIKADY GONE?

DISAPPEARANCE STUNS FAMILIES, PROSECUTION SAYS TRIAL OUTCOME NOW UNCERTAIN

By Burton Spencer-Guster

SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO - The star witness of next month's child abduction trial, 23 year old programmer Thomas Kikady, has disappeared the day after abruptly resigning his programming job. Prosecutors were unable to reach him, and a wellness check on his apartment did not turn up any evidence as to where he may have gone.

"I'm saddened, and frustrated," says the mother of six-year-old Jessica Holt, one of the abducted children. "Honestly, more than that, I'm ashamed of the police for allowing this to have happened." Police Chief Stottlemeyer stated Kikady's apartment had been under police protection after anonymous threats were made against the star witness' life. A spokesperson said that foul play has not yet been ruled out.

An anonymous former co-worker claims that their former employer, the arcade where a majority of these abductions happened, had been putting Kikady under pressure ever since his plans to testify had been made public.
They pointed to the unsubstantiated reports that traces of cocaine were found in Kikady's workspace - despite Kikady's negative results, a number of employees at Kikady's former workplace have yet to undergo testing, most notably Nol…

Addendum 720/2: Incident Logs


Log 1

<BEGIN LOG>

Startup continues normally. However, the message of "FLAPPER - May Arcadia Burn In Hell" is absent, instead replaced with "TIBIAL JUNCTION LEVELS LOW." SCP-720-1 responds to this change with a small text box, stating "Oh dear." The game starts up in REDWOOD as the first world, compared to the original, a beach-like level designed to function as a platforming tutorial. SCP-720-1 is equipped with the CROWN OF THORNS from the start, despite not being able to acquire this beanie until the fourth level - ZERTWA. Gameplay continues as normal, though no enemies are present and SCP-720-1's speed is significantly reduced.

menu.png

SCP-720-1's initial inventory.

SCP-720-1 successfully locates three keys necessary to progress to the next world, ZARATHUSTRA. This world is unchanged, and SCP-720-1 progresses and completes the level normally. Upon completion, however, SCP-720-1 is met with a small text box, shown to the right. Personnel responded with "completing the game," upon which the text box closed, and the world map was shown. Rather than progressing to the third stage, BUCCANEER, SCP-720-1 was put into a tube, and slid down towards BURIAL GROUND. SCP-720-1 was found to have two additional beanies and legs in its inventory, none of which were present in previous playthroughs.

question.png

The text box with entry field.

Upon defeating a King Rancor8, SCP-720-1 returned to the normal world map. Prior to being allowed to move to the next level, HOMETOWN, SCP-720-1 and personnel were asked the same question. Personnel responded with "To Destroy Arcadia." SCP-720-1 responded by producing sounds similar to hushed crying, at which point the game spontaneously crashed. Any future mentions of GoI-78 produced extra health for SCP-720-1 along with an automated voice saying "THANK YOU FOR YOUR KINDNESS," and was used as the primary way to regenerate. However, repeated mentions appeared to cause SCP-720-1 emotional distress.


Log 2


When SCP-720 was restarted, personnel found SCP-720-1 to no longer be the playable character. Instead, personnel played as "Timothy Werner," a small boy with a balloon. The only level present in the game was THE SCENE, which took place inside an environment that appeared to be inside an arcade. Timothy had little combat ability - instead, gameplay primarily focused on using his balloon to fly over and escape skeletal entities. All enemies appeared to be skeletal or spectral in nature - however, there were approximately 40 total, in 3 different groups, compared to other worlds having nearly 100 spread out amongst the level. This is theorized to be due to the level's small size.

timmy.png

Timothy.

The end of the level has no boss fight or puzzle - instead, a rudimentary cutscene is triggered as Timothy removes a quarter from his pocket to place it in a machine, which appears similar to Dance Dance Revolution's cabinet. Timothy begins to run on the machine's pads, before laughter can be heard. The screen goes black. When the scene returns, a lump is present on the floor, presumably a dead Timothy, as it appeared similar to his death scenes when touched by an enemy in the level. A spectral form of Timothy can be seen being pulled into the machine - this form lacks legs.

After this, personnel were able to control SCP-720-1 again, in the level HOMETOWN. Before SCP-720-1 could move, another text box appeared, asking the same question. Personnel were physically unable to type a reply. After 30 seconds of waiting, "GO FASTER" appeared in the response box. The text box closed, and a small flame could be seen above SCP-720-1. This flame was theorized to correspond to a new meter present at the top of the screen - the ABSOLUTION, which decreased in value each time a new pair of legs or beanie was equipped. This meter did not replenish in between worlds. SCP-720-1 progressed through the level, eventually defeating a GR-33D final boss by equipping a new pair of legs, decreasing the ABSOLUTION meter, causing the boss to dissipate. SCP-720-1 continued towards the next level, JUXTAPOSITION.

coke.png

SCP-720-1 in the ROLLER RINK.

In this level, SCP-720-1 entered the ROLLER RINK present in the background of the previous world. This level was neither present in previous playthroughs, nor did it contain any enemies or hazards. Instead, SCP-720-1 was presented with a choice at the end of the level: a doorway which, when entered, would continue on to the next level, or the ability to "sniff" a small white pile next to a large hole out of which laughter could be heard. The repercussions of this choice are unknown - personnel selected the doorway, before saving.


Log 3


The next world, GRAVEYARD, was similar to the previous level in that it contained no enemies. However, this level was present in the original game. SCP-720-1 was directed by personnel to continue forwards into the level's entrance, appearing similar to a graveyard or crypt. SCP-720-1 refused, upon which a small cutscene played, with SCP-720-1 turning towards the screen. It is attached below.

Upon the cutscene finishing, SCP-720-1 was successfully directed to continue. The level was presented as a series of small vignettes, with SCP-720-1 looking at multiple tombstones and reading epitaphs written upon them. The only legible one had "RIPPED FROM US BY THE ANGEL'S DUST" written upon it. SCP-720-1 continuing through the graveyard towards its exit resulted in the triggering of another cutscene. During this cutscene, SCP-720-1 can be seen in an office cubicle, before the viewpoint quickly switches to a first person view, presumably from SCP-720-1's perspective.

hands.png

SCP-720-1's view point during the cutscene.

SCP-720-1 types away at their computer until a heavily disfigured man taps SCP-720-1 on the shoulder. This man's username is "N.B." as displayed in white text over their head. "N.B." has no facial structure, its features replaced with a crude rendition of the Arcadia "A" logo, flipped upside down. SCP-720-1's point of view shakes, as "N.B." requests SCP-720-1 to follow him. SCP-720-1 does so, and the environment shifts to a large packaging center, in the middle of which is a large circle. This circle is drawn with red liquid, and a distinct smell of sulfur and bleach is emitted from the laptop's audio ports. A large amorphous being, entirely colored of red pixels, descends from above, as SCP-720-1 can be heard screaming. Hooded figures surround SCP-720-1, who looks down at his hands. They are human hands, and SCP-720-1 has no legs. The large red figure grows large bone-like structures from its rib cage, which develop into hands, legs, and crosses. It makes no sound as it continues towards SCP-720-1, lifting it up with these structures and throwing SCP-720-1 out of a nearby window. SCP-720-1 is shown in a home environment, sitting at a desk, shaking, as a child appearing similar to Timothy Werner is cowering in the far right corner.

As SCP-720-1 shakes, "N.B." reappears in a doorway, consuming the child. A final boss health bar appears over its head, declaring it "Lucifer," suggesting "N.B." is the new final boss. A large amorphous red entity erupts out of the back of "N.B." as it continues forward, and the two "communicate." This communication appears unscripted, as "filler words" are present in SCP-720-1's responses.

SCP-720-1: BEGONE. BEGONE. GO.

NB: YOU HAVE COME TO ATONE. ATONE YOU SHALL.

SCP-720-1: I HAVE NOT COME TO ATONE. I HAVE COME TO DESTROY AND AVENGE.

NB: THERE WILL BE NONE OF THAT THOMAS. MY SINCEREST APOLOGIES.

SCP-720-1: TAKE YOUR COCAINE AND SHOVE IT UP YOUR ARSE. I SHALL RELEASE WRATH FROM MY HEART OF HEARTS.

NB: BOLD. BUT YOU ARE TOO BOLD, THOMAS.

SCP-720-1: YOU, UH, YOU ARE NOTHING BUT A WORM. I WILL STRIKE YOU DOWN.

NB: THOMAS. I AM NO WORM, BUT THERE IS ONE HERE, THOMAS. YOU. THOMAS WHERE ARE THEY, THOMAS? WHERE ARE THEY? I CAN HEAR THEM BURNING UP, THOMAS. WITH EACH THING YOU PUT ON.

SCP-720-1: BEGONE DEMON. THERE IS NO WORM HERE. BEGONE.

NB: YOU ARE THE WORM THOMAS. DOES THE ONE WHO CONTROLS YOU NOT REALIZE WHERE YOUR LEGS ARE FROM?

SCP-720-1: JUDGE ME NOT ON THE SINS I HAVE COMMITTED IN MY JOURNEY IN THIS PLACE, BUT I REPENT NEVERTHELESS. I REPENT AND BANISH THEE. BEGONE. BEGONE. I BANISH THEE, FOR I HAVE ATTAINED LIGHT. BEGONE, FOUL DEMON OF ARCADIA.

NB: THERE WILL BE NONE OF THAT. I AM NOT SORRY.

[NB moves towards an immobile SCP-720-1.]

The temperature of the laptop running SCP-720 began to increase to nearly 204° C, causing severe overheating in nearby personnel. The following audio file played on repeat for approximately 5 minutes, despite the disc drive having stopped spinning due to repeated use. Testing was aborted, and SCP-720 was removed from the laptop's disc drive.

Following new safety measures, including remote operation of SCP-720 and temperature failsafes, SCP-720 was re-approved for secure testing approximately 4 months later. SCP-720 could not be played upon starting SCP-720. Repeatedly attempting to start up SCP-720 resulted in the spontaneous manifestation of basalt, granite, and sulfur in a 2 meter radius around the laptop running SCP-720, as well as a brief spike in Tartarean Resonant Energy in Site-28's area. The status of SCP-720-1 is currently being determined.


Further testing has been abandoned.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License