SCP-4983
rating: +59+x


warning.png
Item#: SCP-4983
Level4
Containment Class:
Safe Keter
Secondary Class:
none
Disruption Class:
keneq
Risk Class:
danger

westwing.jpg

The west wing of SCP-4983's exterior, moments after the sounds of wailing and screaming were reported from the second level of the building.

SPECIAL CONTAINMENT PROCEDURES: The immediate vicinity of Hales, Iowa has been isolated and is considered a Provisional Site for SCP-4983. Foundation members staged as local officers are hereby responsible for maintaining the security of SCP-4983 whilst investigating it.

Personnel investigating SCP-4983 are to ignore all sounds emanating from the facility. The perimeter of SCP-4983 is to be guarded and protected at all times. Objects retrieved from the anomaly are to be safely stored and transferred to Site-119 for further study and investigation.

UPDATE — 08/09/2014: Concluding the events of ADDENDUM FOUR, the immediate vicinity of both SCP-4983 and the town of Hales has been considered hazardous for Foundation personnel. Discretion should be heavily advised for any personnel who attempt to access either the anomaly or the town itself.

hallway.jpg

Hallway 6B of SCP-4983.

DESCRIPTION: SCP-4983 describes the now-defunct "Saint Almo's Children's Hospital" located on the southwestern perimeter of Hales, Iowa.

With an approximate area of 150 square meters, SCP-4983's interior consists of two primary levels and an upper attic. Large quantities of bedding and other amenities discovered on the second-level floor suggest that in-person care was housed and restricted within, while packaging, storage containers, and other objects have been found inside of the attic. Additionally, the first floor of SCP-4983 consists of both administrative offices and hospitalization rooms for emergency treatment. However, due to the lack of proper tools and equipment located within these hospitalization rooms, it has been presumed that care within the facility was rudimentary and not well-versed amongst healthcare workers during SCP-4983's time of operation (refer to HISTORICAL BACKGROUND).

SCP-4983's anomalous properties manifest randomly and inexplicably. Reports of an unknown rhythmic sound, alongside sightings of "ghosts" and other related phenomena from within the premises, have been recorded from both Foundation personnel and nearby Hales residents. The source of the aforementioned sounds and apparitions inside of SCP-4983 vary between individuals. When experiencing these phenomena, however, all subjects have attested to feeling some degree of anxiety and/or nausea, which is subsequently amplified when stepping inside of SCP-4983. Whether this is the result of additional anomalous phenomena is still being investigated.

HISTORICAL BACKGROUND: While the healthcare industry within the United States began to experience a serious upheaval throughout the early 1950s and late 1960s, hospitals during this period were still generally smaller and more localized. Traditional American communal hospitals, like SCP-4983, were not-for-profit or crowdfunded, housing only a small amount of patients relative to their total capacity.

Prior to the construction of SCP-4983, the town of Hales1 witnessed an exponential growth of new residents. While Hales had already established the now modernized Geneveria hospital in 1954, impoverished members of the community were at a significant disadvantage as local wealth began fluctuating healthcare prices and expenditures. In order to combat the growing disparity, the Hales government initiated the construction of a more localized hospital. In 1963, the first iteration of Saint Almo's hospital was completed.

THE HALES REPORTER

Public Service Announcement Excerpt — Foundation Digital Archives (07/09/1963)

By: Jessica Shredmanor

After a long-awaited announcement, local officials have now confirmed the completion of Saint Almo's Children's hospital. This building, previously owned by Mayor Lewis Anthony before being willingly donated to the local Hales government, was required to undergo a six-month renovation project before being available to the public.

newspaper%20clipping.png

Officials estimate that Saint Almo's will be able to house a total of 105 persons, 20% of which could receive immediate treatment in the facility's emergency-care units. While possible, Hales residents has been reminded that Saint Almo's will only act as a temporary facility, allowing Geneveria and other nearby hospitals an opportunity to house, process, and more effectively treat their increasing number of patients.

Despite concerns from the community, Mayor Anthony has assured citizens that this facility will be available to all residents. In a recent interview, Mayor Anthony addressed his desire to "decrease the cost of receiving life-saving treatment and give families a proper ease-of-mind."

Possible local orders and policies, while still implausible due to Saint Almo's being a temporary facility, have been under consideration by Mayor Anthony and the Hales City Courthouse.

Saint Almo's quickly experienced an upsurge of patients as Hales expanded. While most physicians working at the facility lacked the proper training for effective treatment, Saint Almo's was still widely considered a better alternative to Geneveria healthcare. By 1966, reconstruction of Saint Almo's, headed by Mayor Lewis Anthony and the local government, was complete. This reconstruction would later become SCP-4983.

Upon completion of SCP-4983, Saint Almo's would be rebranded as a children's hospital due to the increasing population. This change would prove to be effective until 1972 when census records reported a plateau of new Hales residents. By 1975, Saint Almo's would be once again replaced by Geneveria hospital in capacity and treatment rates. In 1976, the building was officially shut down by Mayor Anthony.

Mayor Anthony would later pass in 1980 at the age of 65. SCP-4983's anomalous properties would go unnoticed until 2003 when Foundation operatives were alerted of potential paranormal activity. Investigation into the property officially began several weeks after containment, with Agent Miller conducting the following interview alongside Mayor Johnathon Anthony.

INTERVIEWED: Mayor Johnathon Anthony

INTERVIEWER: Agent Laura Miller


[BEGIN LOG]

MILLER: I can't help but notice the resemblance between you and Mr. Lewis Anthony. I'm assuming you both were family?

anthony.jpg

Picture provided of Mayor Lewis Anthony.

ANTHONY: My father, yeah.

MILLER: I see. Were you two close?

ANTHONY: Up until my teenage years. Then we had a falling out of sorts and I ran away from home to live with my mother up in Pleasant Hill.

ANTHONY clears his throat.

ANTHONY: He damn near had the entire town scared to death when I left. They had signs of my face posted everywhere in the county. They thought I went missing up until 81.

MILLER: That's definitely not good. [Pause] If you don't mind me asking — what made you leave?

ANTHONY: There were… I think there were a bunch of little factors. Things that made me feel like I needed space. From what I remember, he always had this motto of "religion, politics, and smarts." If he wasn't in the courthouse or writing policies, he was reading his holy book from the library.

MILLER: Are you aware of what he practiced?

ANTHONY: The exact details aren't coming to me now. I guess he thought it was too personal.

MILLER: I see.

ANTHONY: But I do know that he was a superstitious man. Scared of spirits and the unseen world. He and I were a lot alike, really. That, and his attitude towards research and studying.

Pause.

MILLER: Anything else you'd like to discuss in terms of Lewis?

ANTHONY: Not anything I care for, no. Actually, I'd like to move this conversation along if that's fine with you.

MILLER: Oh, of course. Let's try to bring this back to the present-day, sorry for de-railing. What's the status of Saint Almo's now?

ANTHONY: [Chuckles] Abandoned. It had served its purpose. When people stopped coming, so did the workers. Hales hasn't needed Saint Almo's for decades now.

MILLER: Is Geneveria the reason for that?

ANTHONY: It's not just that, no. Saint Almo's was a response to a growing town. But that's simply not the case anymore, especially since we haven't recreated a population boom like that since the 60s. If we were to lose any more residents, this place would be a ghost town.

MILLER: Why not just destroy Saint Almo's then? I'm sure it's taking land away for new housing and business opportunities.

ANTHONY: We tried. We held a vote back in '98, but the project never went anywhere.

MILLER: Why not?

ANTHONY: The vote was quite divisive. After all, Saint Almo's is still widely considered a historical monument for Hales. In the end, though, it was decided that removing the hospital now would be pointless. And then nobody wanted to go near the damn place anyway, not when we realized that it was haunted.

MILLER: Oh? [Pause] And how did you come to that conclusion?

ANTHONY: I held the séance myself.

[END LOG]

ADDENDUM ONE — PERIMETER EXPLORATION:

DATE: 02/13/2014

NOTE: MTF Xi-7 ("Ghost Busters!") was dispatched to SCP-4983 in order to patrol and assess the perimeter for any threats prior to Foundation insertion into the anomaly.


[BEGIN LOG]

Recording begins with the group walking towards a blue gate from a dirt path. The perspective follows Xi-7 ALPHA, who leads Xi-7 BRAVO, CHARLIE, and DELTA who are positioned behind him. The group is walking towards SCP-4983, pausing briefly to move the gate aside.

ALPHA: You know the drill — keep an eye out.

Xi-7 enter into the perimeter of the anomaly, which follows another faded dirt path leading directly into the front entrance of SCP-4983. Along the road, miscellaneous shrubbery and flora are visible. ALPHA indicates towards his left, and the group follows his lead as he steps beyond the shrubbery and towards the south brick wall.

Xi-7 continue walking along the south wall for several minutes. Suddenly, as Xi-7 approaches the southeastern edge of SCP-4983, ALPHA pauses. The camera feed distorts slightly as ALPHA indicates to the others to hold their positions.

ALPHA: Do you hear that?

DELTA: Affirmative. Sounds almost like… a ringing. Is it a phone?

BRAVO: I can hear it too, coming from the second floor, I think. Reminds me more of an alarm clock.

ALPHA: Let's keep moving then. Ignore it, if you can.

shed.jpg

Xi-7 approaches the edge and turns towards the other wall, which leads to a nearby storage shed. Xi-7 scans the vicinity of the shed and, once finding nothing of significance, continues walking along the perimeter.

UNKNOWN: [Unintelligible]

Xi-7 freeze immediately.

CHARLIE: A female scream?

BRAVO: Coming from the first floor now.

Wood being bashed can be heard from the camera's microphone.

BRAVO: Sir?

ALPHA: We have our orders. Continue the patrol.

Xi-7 have now arrived at the back of SCP-4983. The sounds previously heard by the group have now faded. Xi-7 arrive in the outer courtyard.

ALPHA: Wait.

CHARLIE: Sir?

ALPHA steps forward, turning slightly in order to reveal a series of stones extending from the ground below and into a 4x10 array. Large holes have been dug in front of the stones.

BRAVO: Was it common for places like these to have gravesites?

CHARLIE: Dunno.

ALPHA: There's no harm in checking it out.

Xi-7 enter the gravesite and proceed to search the premises. ALPHA begins searching near the far-right corner. ALPHA locates a nearby gravestone and peers into the hole dug within its vicinity. Nothing of value is discovered. ALPHA continues his search for 5 minutes but is unable to locate anything of relative interest. After searching another grave, ALPHA's radio activates from his side.

CHARLIE: [Over radio] Alpha, I need you over here.

ALPHA: What did you find? A body?

CHARLIE: Just come here.

ALPHA complies, jogging between several graves before locating BRAVO, CHARLIE, and DELTA standing on the opposite corner of the graveyard.

ALPHA: What did you three find?

BRAVO: Three bodies. Two males and a female.

ALPHA: It's a graveyard, what were you expecting?

DELTA: It's not just that, sir. It's about the state of the bodies — they're fresh.

[END LOG]

MTF Xi-7 concluded the perimeter patrol with no further issues. Once given the all-clear, Xi-7 would later return to the graveyard present within SCP-4983. A total of three bodies, hereby collectively referred to as "SCP-4983-1," were subsequently recovered, all of which were sent to Site-119 for continued investigation. Further forensic analysis was led by Doctor Anderson Rains.

RESEARCHERS NOTE: I feel like a slight clarification needs to be made here. The… things, sent from Saint Almo's aren't ordinary human bodies. As of now, none of us are sure what they really are. Here, I'll try to briefly explain it as best as I can.

Xi-7 wasn't wrong when they said that these SCP-4983-1 instances were unusual. They are, but not in the way that they thought initially. The skin of each are abnormally elastic and loose — giving them this near-pristine appearance. None of our available tools have been able to puncture past the dermis either, for reasons we can't yet explain.

Beyond the near plasticity of the skin, we also observed some oddities with their eyes. Ignoring the discoloration of the pupils, both the vitreous body and the retina are unusually enlarged, well beyond being any genetic defect or abnormality. Heat scans of both the skull and upper torso also report slight signs of heat markings, which is also weird since we can only assume that these bodies have been left in the cold and deceased for several years (as indicated by the decomposing of the hair and vacant follicles seen in all instances).

While the above summary isn't all-inclusive, I still think we should remain clear on what we're dealing with here. In short: we have no clue what's going on yet, and knowing that might help prevent any accidents or misunderstandings in the future.

ADDENDUM TWO — INVESTIGATION: The discovery of the SCP-4983-1 instances prompted further concern by Foundation personnel. Because of this, further exploration into SCP-4983 was requested and later escalated by high-ranking officials.

With the outer perimeter of SCP-4983 secured, investigations into the interior of SCP-4983 were attempted. However, Foundation personnel were still unsure of the status within the facility. As such, the creation and utilization of the new CODICE drone were approved. A flight to inspect and observe SCP-4983's interior remotely was approved, resulting in the subsequent log of events:

DATE: 03/01/2014


[BEGIN LOG]

DRONE ACTIVATED. AUTOPILOT ENGAGED AND ACTIVE. ASCENDING 7 METERS BEFORE INITIATING FLIGHT TOWARDS TARGET.

TARGET LOCATED, DESCENDING TO 5 METERS AND TRAVELLING TO FLAGGED ENTRY POINT.

ERROR! OBSTRUCTION DETECTED. AUTOPILOT DISENGAGED — AWAITING OPERATOR FOR ASSISTANCE.

MANUAL FLIGHT CONTROLS INITIATED. ELEVATING 7 METERS AND SCANNING SECOND LEVEL TO DETERMINE NEW ENTRY POINT.

ENTRY POINT DETECTED, SIXTH WINDOW ON SECOND LEVEL. NOW ENTERING AVAILABLE OPENING. RE-ENGAGING AUTOPILOT AND RESUMING PATROL.

SCANNING CURRENT ROOM. NO MOVEMENT DETECTED. NO HAZARDOUS MATERIAL DETECTED. PHOTOGRAPHING NEARBY OBJECTS AND CONTINUING PATROL.

toilet.jpg

ACCESSING HALLWAY, NO MOVEMENT DETECTED. CONTINUING TO NEXT ROOM.

FATAL FEED ERROR! FATAL SCANNER ERROR! LOCATION OF DRONE UNKNOWN!

ERROR! RE-ADJUSTING CALIBRATION AND CONTINUING TO NEXT ROOM.

MOVEMENT DETECTED!

MOVEMENT DETECTED!

MOVEMENT DETECTED!

ALARM DE-ACTIVATED. NO MOVEMENT DETECTED, NOW ACCESSING LEVEL ONE.

LOUD SOUND DETECTED. SOURCE ABOVE. UNABLE TO DISCERN. AUTOPILOT DISENGAGED, AWAITING OPERATOR.

AUTOPILOT RE-ENGAGED. CONTINUING PATROL OF LEVEL ONE.

ACCESSING ROOM. SCAN HAS NOW BEEN COMPLETED. NO MOVEMENT DETECTED. NO HAZARDOUS MATERIAL DETECTED. PHOTOGRAPHING NEARBY OBJECTS AND CONTINUING PATROL.

ROOM EXCEEDING RANGE LIMIT ALLOWANCE. CONTINUING FURTHER INTO CURRENT ROOM.

ANOTHER SCAN INITIATED. NO CHANGE. CONTINUING SEARCH OF SUB-ROOM.

SUB-ROOM SCANNED, NO CHANGE. RETURNING TO PREVIOUS ROOM.

RETURNING TO PREVIOUS POINT OF ENTRY TO CONTINUE PATROL.

OBSTRUCTION DETECTED! PHOTOGRAPHING NEARBY OBJECTS AND AWAITING OPERATOR.

kitchen.jpg

MANUAL FLIGHT CONTROLS ENGAGED. ASCENDING 7 METERS TO THE SECOND FLOOR. AUTOPILOT NOW RE-ENGAGED.

CONTINUING PATROL, SCANNING CURRENT ROOM.

FATAL FEED ERROR! FATAL SCANNER ERROR! LOCATION OF DRONE UNKNOWN!

ERROR! RE-ADJUSTING CALIBRATION AND CONTINUING PATROL.

DETECTED STAIRS. ASCENDING TO UPPER ATTIC, NOW 11 METERS.

ACCESSING ROOM, INITIATING SCAN.

SCAN HAS NOW BEEN COMPLETED. NO MOVEMENT DETECTED. NO HAZARDOUS MATERIAL DETECTED. PHOTOGRAPHING NEARBY OBJECTS AND CONTINUING—

MOVEMENT DETECTED!

SOUND DETECTED!

MOVEMENT DETECTED!

FACE DETECTED!

MOVEMENT DETECTED!

SOUND DETECTED!

MOVEMENT DETECTED!

FACE DETECTED!

ERROR! ERROR! ERROR! ERROR! ERROR!

ALARMS DISENGAGED. NO ACTIVITY DETECTED.

BATTERY REPORTED LOW! EXITING BUILDING AND TERMINATING PATROL SCRIPT.

[END LOG]

Continued remote observations into SCP-4983 have been met with similar results. Repeated attempts revealed the presence of "dead zones," as an unknown interference would distort and malfunction all drones entering into their approximate vicinity. As such, Xi-7 has been re-dispatched to the location for further exploration and mapping of potential rooms of interest within. On 03/08/2014, Xi-7 would arrive at SCP-4983, with Agent Laura Miller assisting them.

NOTE: Camera footage provided by Agent Laura Miller.


[BEGIN LOG]

Recording begins at the entrance leading into SCP-4983, with DELTA and CHARLIE removing the wooded barricade previously blocking the door. ALPHA and BETA are seen standing guard, with MILLER sitting several meters away.

DELTA: [Grunts] Wood's now been moved. We can go in whenever.

ALPHA: Gotcha. [Turns towards MILLER.] Ready over there?

MILLER: Sure am.

ALPHA: Let's move then.

DELTA and CHARLIE step backward as ALPHA and MILLER enter into SCP-4983. The two are met with a long, narrow hallway extending left and right respectively. On the wall ahead, a small window leads into the central courtyard decorated with several benches and a broken ceramic fountain.

The rest of Xi-7 enter into the interior. ALPHA signals CHARLIE and DELTA to move towards the right end of the hallway as ALPHA, BRAVO, and MILLER stay left.

ALPHA: [Over radio] Sensors will sound when you're close to a dead zone. Stay alert.

CHARLIE: Copy, boss.

DELTA: Aye, copy.

ALPHA, BRAVO, and MILLER arrive at the end of the hallway and turn right. The subteam is met with an even longer hallway extending down into the opposite end of the central courtyard. Parts of the ceiling and walls are either missing or vacant, with fragmented drywall clinging to the floors. All nearby windows are either shattered or outright missing.

The group walks forward, stopping after 5 or 6 meters to enter a nearby patient ward. ALPHA signals BRAVO to stand near the entry point while he and MILLER enter inside. The two walk into a large room filled with a series of bunk-beds extending downward, towards the opposite wall. The mattresses are heavily shredded and sagged, the majority of which are missing sheets or pillows.

MILLER: It's better than most motels, at least.

ALPHA: What places have you been sleeping in?

MILLER: If you could only imagine.

MILLER and ALPHA continue exploring the inside of the room. As MILLER inspects the left wall, ALPHA continues rummaging through the separate bunk beds. MILLER then turns to look at several of the other bunk beds across the room. MILLER briefly stops as she picks up a toy action figure. While most of its characteristics have long since either faded or have been removed outright, MILLER notices that the central cavity of the figure remains intact, with a large mechanical heart strapped inside.

BRAVO: [Over radio] Copy?

The two cease moving.

ALPHA: All ears, Bravo.

BRAVO: Anyone else hearing that sound?

Radio goes silent briefly. After a moment, ALPHA and MILLER look towards each other. An unknown sound can be heard over the camera's microphone.

BRAVO: None of us are moving, right?

Xi-7 confirms over the radio that they have ceased movement.

BRAVO: So whose footsteps am I hearing?

A slight pause occurs.

ALPHA: Ignore it for now. Keep watch, we'll be back in the hallway soon.

MILLER continues towards the end of the room. ALPHA removes his radio before stopping to see an unknown canister laying face down on the floor. After a moment he kicks it onto its opposite face, revealing a large hole.

ALPHA: Looks like someone really wanted whatever was in that thing.

MILLER approaches towards the end of the room, turning right to access a nearby bathroom. ALPHA lingers slightly behind and is unviewable to the camera. MILLER enters into the bathroom, which is in a similar state to other rooms within the facility. She turns right towards a slightly broken mirror before freezing.

MILLER: Alpha.

ALPHA: What?

MILLER: Come here.

ALPHA rushes into the bathroom MILLER is located at, holding a sidearm close by.

ALPHA: Something wrong?

MILLER: Look at the shower behind me.

ALPHA turns towards the ceramic tub behind him. After locating nothing of interest, he turns back towards MILLER.

ALPHA: There's nothing there.

MILLER indicates towards the mirror, signaling ALPHA to look. ALPHA's eyes suddenly widen at the sight of something that cannot be seen by the camera. ALPHA holsters his weapon.

MILLER: You see it now?

ALPHA: [Whispers] Don't move — he's not smiling at you.

ALPHA retrieves a small capsule from his right pocket, taking off its cap. Once done, ALPHA steadily dips his index and middle fingers into the capsule, staining them with a dark red liquid. As MILLER remains frozen, ALPHA begins to draw an inscription on the mirror in front of them, whispering in an unknown language. After several seconds, ALPHA steps back and the mirror shatters outright.

ALPHA: You're clear.

MILLER turns back, checking to see if anything is still behind her. After a moment she sighs in relief.

MILLER: What in the hell was that?

ALPHA: It was just a spirit. Nothing you have to worry about now.

MILLER: Is it… is it gone now?

ALPHA: Should be, but just stay on guard. In case it comes back.

MILLER: Huh…. okay. [Pauses] Thanks.

ALPHA: Don't mention it. [Offhand] Fucking creepy-ass kid.

ALPHA grunts as both proceed out of another door connecting into the bathroom, this one leading into a presumed storage closet. As the two enter, loud alarms begin going off near MILLER's and ALPHA's waists.

MILLER: I found it.

ALPHA snorts.

DELTA: [Over radio] Alpha, you copy?

ALPHA: Affirmative. Just located a dead zone.

CHARLIE: So have we. Does yours also have a fuckton of these weird fuel-container-looking things?

MILLER and ALPHA take a second to observe their immediate vicinity. Throughout the room, large quantities of large, 1.2-meter canisters are visible. Most have toppled to the floor or contain significant damage.

ALPHA: Affirmative.

CHARLIE: Well, we got a few of them that look like they got something interesting inside. Almost like Sprite or something — should we do anything with them?

ALPHA looks towards MILLER, who signals in the affirmative.

ALPHA: Yeah — make sure they're not hazardous or toxic. Other than that, bring some back to the front of the building — we'll let the nerds back home figure it out from here.

[END LOG]

ADDENDUM THREE — EXPERIMENTATION: Concluding the end of events observed in ADDENDUM TWO, only 4 canisters, classified as SCP-4983-2, were recovered from the facility. Similar to SCP-4983-1, said objects were transferred to Site-119 for further investigation and study by personnel.

On 04/16/2014, Doctor Anderson Rains submitted a detailed series of notes to Foundation researchers after observing and investigating both SCP-4983-1 and SCP-4983-2 instances for nearly 1 month. An excerpted collection of these notes may be found below:

[…] Our first preliminary observations with SCP-4983-1 instances have finally been completed. Assuming that anyone reading these notes will have already been up-to-date with the current SCP-4983 file, let me go ahead and skip straight into the more interesting points.

Instead of locating ordinary subcutaneous tissue and muscle fibers underneath the instance's rubbery skin, we were actually met with interlocking fibers of metal and copper. Small cogs and gears were frozen stiff, meshed together from the central torso and into the individual limbs. The only thing comparable would be that of a few cases I happened to be a part of back during my time at Site-17. While we accessed the upper chest cavity and torso, a large battery had replaced what was supposed to be a human heart.

We have decided to continue monitoring this for now. We haven't yet taken a look at the upper cranium or the eyes in full detail, but I expect that to change here shortly.


Even after several days, our observations still baffle us back in 119. So far during this investigation, we've only been able to raise more questions than we can answer. Why were these blatantly machined instances left outside? How did they operate — were they life-like or were they intentionally artificial? Who could possibly acquire the knowledge and craftsmanship to create these machines?

These questions have only been amplified after our new observations. We will begin with our evaluation of the instance's eyes. While we noticed beforehand that the size of both the retina and vitreous body were overly large — what we didn't see was how the iris and lens of the eyes were entirely fake. Instead of locating muscle and tissue, we noticed a loose filling that obstructed small cameras fitted behind the pupil and outer cornea, which connected via the "optic nerve" back towards the visual cortex of the instance's brain.

This nicely segues us into our next observations — the brain itself. It, of course, likewise follows the recent pattern seen from these investigations thus far. Instead of organic brain matter or tissue, there was a large array of storage drives, much like ordinary hard disk drives.

So far, we've been unable to extract any data from the drives we've recovered. Closer inspection of each drive indicates that they were probably severely damaged after being left outside for several decades. We're going to try and extract other drives from the remaining instances to see if any data can be read. However, we don't believe that it will be successful.


Today we received something brand new from SCP-4983 — SCP-4983-2.

The SCP-4983-2 objects themselves are nothing fancy from the outside. They just appear as odd fuel canisters, the ones you might find in a videogame or near the back of an ordinary gas station. We hadn't thought much of the material that was contained inside.

Not until we realized that the gas inside contains a massive amount of EVE energy.

With so much of it inside, it's suddenly not too difficult to understand why our devices were experiencing so much interference. If the EVE had been compacted into any more space, we'd most likely be dealing with a lot worse than haywire gadgets. Aspect Radiation is a very real threat, and we should remain thankful that no accidents occurred on the field.

Our technicians have stored them away for the time being. Tomorrow we'll begin a further study to see if any correlation between the -1 and -2 exist, and what said correlation might look like if it does.


Since we cannot insert the contents of SCP-4983-2 directly into SCP-4983-1, we have isolated a chamber room with one of each instance contained inside. The results have been shocking so far.

The plasticity of the SCP-4983-1's skin is not just happenstance. When interacting with the material of SCP-4983-2, the skin actually begins to morph and change. The physical features of our first SCP-4983-1 have altered so significantly that even details like the fingerprints have been permanently changed. Our other tests have led to the same results.

The EVE energy contained within the canisters has not yet been identified. However, given the clarity and relative weakness of the energy, it's almost safe to assume that this was siphoned from a baseline human. Perhaps many, many humans if I had to guess.

The only thoughts that I can think of in regards to these objects are why? None of the pieces craft a good picture here. With so many of these SCP-4983-2 instances — what are they actually fueling? And, more importantly… where is it?

ADDENDUM FOUR — SUBLEVEL: Following the notes retrieved from Doctor Rains, a re-dispatch to the SCP-4983 location was approved. In order to gain further insight into both the correlation of SCP-4983-1 and SCP-4983-2, as well as ascertain more of the facility itself, Mayor Johnathon Anthony agreed to assist Foundation teams in further investigation.

Utilizing both his knowledge of SCP-4983's general layout, as well as the overall history involving both it and the town of Hales, he was integrated into the following exploration of SCP-4983.

NOTE: The following footage was compiled from recordings provided by MILLER, ALPHA, BRAVO, CHARLIE, and DELTA respectively.


[BEGIN LOG]

Recording begins with the perspective of ALPHA. The group has already accessed the inside of SCP-4983 and is huddled together nearby the front entrance. The time is approximately 18:30, and the lack of outside light makes viewing difficult. All members excluding ANTHONY are wearing activated flashlights.

MILLER: Thanks for agreeing to help us, John.

ANTHONY: Of course. Is there anything exactly you and your friends are looking for here?

MILLER: We're not sure yet. We were hoping you could point us in the right direction.

ALPHA: Somewhere we maybe haven't thought to check yet.

MILLER nods in agreement to ALPHA.

ANTHONY: Well… I can't pinpoint anything exactly right now. But Dad always left little secrets in everything he did. I can help you all look if that's okay.

ALPHA: Well—

MILLER: Yes, that would be great. The more eyes the better.

MILLER and ALPHA look towards each other briefly.

ALPHA: Fine by me. Let's split up and get to work then.

Xi-7 and the group nod in approval. ALPHA, MILLER, and ANTHONY both move towards the west section of the facility, while BRAVO, CHARLIE, and DELTA take the opposite region.

[EXTRANEOUS FOOTAGE REMOVED]

Camera perspective now falls unto BRAVO, who lags behind both CHARLIE and DELTA as they move forward.

CHARLIE: We're coming across a T in the hallway.

DELTA: Noted.

BRAVO: There's a room right off the turn. Should we take a look inside?

DELTA: It's what we're here for, isn't it?

BRAVO, CHARLIE, and DELTA slowly make their way to the end of the hallway, turning right to see an already opened door leading into a large operating room. From the outside windows, it appears that they are on the second floor of the facility.

DELTA: Charlie, take point while Bravo and I go inside.

CHARLIE: Yeah… yeah, sure.

DELTA turns back and walks into the hallway, leaving CHARLIE outside as he shuts the metal door leading inside. DELTA and BRAVO have now entered a large operating room. The room itself is devoid of any outstanding features. Cabinets and drawers hang limply from the walls as a large operating table is bolted into the central part of the floor. Debris, fauna, and other material are scattered throughout the entirety of the room. The windows are shattered and a light breeze comes from the outside.

DELTA: If you find anything, call it out.

BRAVO: Roger.

BRAVO turns towards the right side of the room and begins inspecting the miscellaneous cabinets and drawers. The camera can see DELTA moving towards the left and searching.

BRAVO: Delta.

DELTA: What?

BRAVO opens another cabinet and begins inspecting for anything notable. He is unsuccessful.

BRAVO: Why'd you make Charlie sit outside? Seems silly, we're just dealing with ghosts and spirits in here.

DELTA sighs, closing a nearby drawer as he stands up and straightens his back.

DELTA: Are you telling me that you didn't notice it?

BRAVO: Notice what?

DELTA: Eh, just forget it.

DELTA continues his search in another nearby cabinet, shutting it quickly after locating nothing of interest.

DELTA: I've been feeling paranoid, recently. Like — like someone has been on my back this entire time.

BRAVO: You think it's maybe the spirits latching onto you?

DELTA: Maybe, Either that or just paranoia, I suppose.

The two are now beyond the halfway point of the perimeter of the room.

DELTA: I don't know. I just want to stay on guard.

BRAVO: I get it.

[2 MINUTES OF EXTRANEOUS FOOTAGE REMOVED]

DELTA: Find anything over there?

BRAVO: No sir. Just a few bird nests. What about you?

DELTA: Nothing.

The two sit in silence briefly.

BRAVO: Should we keep looking?

DELTA: No, we've spent enough time in here. Let's move on to the next room.

DELTA retrieves his radio from his waist.

DELTA: Charlie, do you copy?

Silence.

DELTA: Charlie, are you there, over? We're about to leave the room.

Silence ensues once more.

BRAVO: Did he forget to turn on his radio again?

DELTA: No, he wouldn't do that. [Pause] Come with me.

DELTA readies his sidearm and slowly approaches the door. BRAVO retrieves his sidearm and follows DELTA from behind. After slowly approaching, DELTA opens the door leading back into the hallway slightly, taking a peek outside. After a moment, DELTA seemingly locates nothing of interest and opens the door.

DELTA: He's gone.

DELTA steps out, back into the hallway. He swings his firearm towards the front and right turns before looking back towards BRAVO.

DELTA: Where did that son-of-a—

DELTA is interrupted by the ceiling collapsing. Suddenly, a large body falls onto DELTA, causing him to collapse. BRAVO jumps forward but is unable to after being blocked by another body in front of him.

BRAVO grunts towards DELTA before collapsing. The camera attached to BRAVO detaches from him, falling lopsided onto the ground. After a minute, the room is silent. Deep red blood begins staining the camera lens as 4 unknown individuals begin walking away from the scene. One is seen turning back towards the camera before the feed ceases outright.

The camera perspective now falls back onto MILLER, who is walking alongside ANTHONY and ALPHA. The three are walking down another separate hallway leading towards the outside before suddenly hearing a large crash from the rooms above.

ANTHONY: What was that?

The group pauses and looks collectively up towards the ceiling. After a moment of silence, ALPHA retrieves his radio.

ALPHA: Team, do you copy?

The radio remains silent.

ALPHA: Team?

Further silence ensues.

MILLER: Do you think something happened?

ALPHA freezes as he puts his radio back onto his waist.

ALPHA: Dunno, but you two stay here. Don't move, I'm going to go check it out.

MILLER and ANTHONY nod as ALPHA retreats towards the source of the sound. After he leaves, MILLER and ANTHONY looks towards each other.

ANTHONY: Do you hear that?

MILLER: I do, yeah.

The two pause as a noticeable "ticking" sound can be heard faintly.

MILLER: I think you should go back towards the entrance.

ANTHONY: And what about you?

MILLER: There are a few more places I want to check, but I'll be there soon.

ANTHONY nods in approval.

ANTHONY: I'll meet you there then.

[EXTRANEOUS FOOTAGE REMOVED]

MILLER is seen walking around the perimeter of SCP-4983. She is alone, with only a flashlight. The sky has darkened and light rain has begun to pour. ANTHONY and ALPHA are nowhere in sight.

MILLER approaches the outside shed from the rear side. After a moment of walking around, she accesses the front door and attempts to open it. Her attempt fails. She tries again, this time ramming her shoulder into the door. The added push causes the weakened wood to cave, allowing her access into a large stairway headed underground.

MILLER: That ticking… it's coming from here.

The stairs and outer walls are largely degraded. The decoration and style of the walls appear to pre-date the outside shed and SCP-4983 facility surrounding it. MILLER begins walking into the facility. She intermittently scans both the walls and stairs, but after locating nothing of interest she continues downward.

After a minute of walking, she accesses a large room leading from the stairs. The ticking sound is significantly louder, but she is unable to view anything due to the darkness. After a moment, however, she begins surveying the room. She begins on the right side of the wall and explores the perimeter. She finds nothing of interest, so she moves towards the opposite corner.

MILLER: What the…?

MILLER points her camera to the ground and gasps slightly. As she pans, another SCP-4983-1 instance can be seen lying on the ground, face down. After a brief pause, MILLER begins inspecting the instance. She is able to lift it onto its face, revealing both a face and nametag that appears to have dropped onto the floor. The nametag itself reads: "SUBJECT 1 — JAY A."

MILLER: It's… it's the boy from the mirror?

MILLER stands up and looks around again. After a moment, she detects something of interest on the wall. She walks towards the object and notices a switch. She flicks it onto the "On" position, and the lights of the room suddenly activate. Near the SCP-4983-1 and the now viewable dozens of other instances, a large mechanical object can be seen reverberating. After each subsequent beat, the ticking sound becomes noticeable stronger.

The opposite corner of the room likewise begins to light up. Along the far wall of the room, large CRT monitors begin activating. Each monitor displays a feed looking outside of both the facility and Hales. All feeds are displayed in a first-person perspective, some of which are heading towards the shed in which MILLER is located in.

MILLER gasps, taking a step backward before a large creaking noise can be heard from behind. MILLER flails to her opposite side and sees ANTHONY staring at her from the stairs.

MILLER: John?

ANTHONY smiles as his face and body begin to contort and shift rapidly. Within moments, the appearance of ANTHONY shifts dramatically to that of the previous Lewis Anthony. After a pause, he steps forward, revealing a large number of people standing behind him from the staircase.

ANTHONY: Looks like you found it.

ANTHONY steps forward, allowing the group of individuals behind him to quickly swarm into the room and surround MILLER. Bloodstains are noticeable around ANTHONY's arms and hands.

ANTHONY: Welcome to Hales, Ms. Miller.

[FEED IS CUT INEXPLICABLY AFTER A LOUD IMPACT IS HEARD]

[END LOG]

UPDATE: Both the status of Agent Miller and the specifics of the object discovered within SCP-4983, at the time of writing, remain unknown. Possible correlation with GoI-004 "Church of the Broken God" is suspected, but unverifiable due to lack of evidence.

Additionally, all reports concerning the sighting of Miller's body near the premises of SCP-4983 or the town of Hales are to be considered false until further notice.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License