SCP-2829

rating: +133+x
themistake.jpg

SCP-2829 upon recovery.

Item #: SCP-2829

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: All instances of SCP-2829 are to be contained in a standard biological containment cell at Area-12. All personnel entering the containment cell must wear a level A hazardous materials suit at all times. All personnel coming in contact with SCP-2829 must also be on a strict regimen of depressant drugs to suppress endorphin production and must be rotated every month after a thorough psychological evaluation. Each instance of SCP-2829 is to be tagged with a Teflon-coated chip for identification, with new instances being tagged as early as possible.

Description: SCP-2829 is a set (51 individuals at the time of writing) of amorphous organisms superficially resembling banana slugs (Ariolimax californicus). The cells of SCP-2829 instances are structurally similar to human adipocytes1, with the exception of an organelle of unknown function fused to the nucleus and a smaller, more folded smooth endoplasmic reticulum. DNA analysis of the cell nucleus shows a 89±6 percent similarity to baseline human DNA.

SCP-2829 reproduces sporadically through budding; the circumstances causing this process are not fully understood at present but are currently thought to be linked to feeding events. Newly-formed daughter organisms instinctively approach humans more eagerly.

SCP-2829 instances are physically active and docile in temperament, and often play by racing each other or competing to form towers by stacking themselves. Around humans, SCP-2829 will become excited and bounce in place. If a nearby person approaches SCP-2829, SCP-2829 will move towards that person and climb onto any exposed skin. After nuzzling the skin, SCP-2829 will secrete a mixture of neurotransmitters that numb the pain response and trigger endorphin production in the person's body, then slowly fuse with the skin. Once SCP-2829 is fully fused and the person reaches a heightened euphoric state, SCP-2829 will absorb the person's excess fat then enter a dormant state for several minutes. SCP-2829 will then gradually leave the body. The entire process typically lasts approximately 20 minutes. SCP-2829 does not seem to gain any mass during this process, but tests have shown a possible correlation between the amount of fat absorbed from the subject and the endorphin concentrations just before SCP-2829 exits the body.

Addendum: 47 instances of SCP-2829 were recovered from the basement of an abandoned home in ███████, TX, along with the corpse of the house's owner, Dr. Javier Pineda, a former Prometheus Labs employee. An assortment of scientific equipment and various reference books and notebooks were found in the home; the books were damaged beyond recognition, but a series of video logs was partially recovered.

The recovery team noted the presence of fresh slime trails leaving the house after the specimens had been secured for transport.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License