SCP-2473
rating: +87+x

Item #: SCP-2473

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-2473 is currently stored in Hangar 37 of Site-43. Efforts in restoration and reverse-engineering of the object are ongoing. Normal procedures for delicate artifacts such as those found within SCP-2473 are in effect. Exposure of SCP-2473's photovoltaic panel to sunlight is required for no less than four hours daily.

Testing with SCP-2473-1 instances is restricted to D-Class personnel, with a preference for neurologically healthy individuals. Individual test subjects must be given at least two weeks to recover between experiments. Normal procedures for testing surgical apparatus are in effect for SCP-2473-1 instances. At this time, testing with the objects is suspended. Restoration of SCP-2473-1 instances is the primary priority for restoration crews because of their fragility.

SCP-2473-2 is currently in cryogenic storage at Site-43. Removal for study by approved personnel must follow instructions outlined in general Foundation guidelines for mummified human corpses.

Description: SCP-2473 is an atmospheric re-entry vehicle of anomalous origins.1 It has the following approximate specifications: a 51-meter length, a 30-meter wingspan, a 65-meter height, and a total weight of approximately 110,000 kilograms.

SCP-2473 has no external marks, and possesses a form of ion propulsion. Hardware for docking onto another spacecraft is present. A living quarters/cockpit has been identified. Much of SCP-2473's interior is filled with computer hardware, apparatus for recycling air and human waste, and a retractable photovoltaic panel. All hardware within SCP-2473 appears to have suffered several centuries of oxidization. The apparatus for recycling human waste failed before recovery, while the oxygen-recycling system was still operational. All internal markings are in a language not currently extant on Earth; translation efforts are ongoing.

SCP-2473-1 refers to eleven identical chairs designed as brain-computer interfaces. The devices are equipped with polymer catheters designed to remove waste and provide nutrients, alongside several electrodes designed to directly interface with the nervous systems of occupants. SCP-2473-1 instances are arranged in a V formation within SCP-2473's primary chamber, the apparent living-quarters/cockpit, with the vertex of the V (SCP-2473-1-6) being closest to the nose of SCP-2473.

Only one SCP-2473-1 instance (SCP-2473-1-11) was occupied at recovery. The occupant, SCP-2473-2, was found in a desiccated, mummified state. Radiocarbon dating, genetic testing, and chemical analysis of bones and teeth have proven inconclusive on racial identity, lifestyle, and age of SCP-2473-2; the current working estimate is of 20,000 years (±5,000 years) between death and recovery. SCP-2473-2 was female and approximately 60 to 70 years old at time of death. SCP-2473-2 likely spent an extended period in microgravity prior to death, as indicated by signs of atrophy within most muscles and the skeletal system. The electrodes of SCP-2473-1-11 were embedded at various points within SCP-2473-2's body; bone and muscle growth around the objects indicates that they were connected for an extensive period. SCP-2473-2 was heavily bandaged and wearing a loose-fitting garment of unknown composition at time of death; cause of death is unknown at this time.

All computer hardware and sensor devices were functional at time of recovery; as such, maintaining charge on SCP-2473's power cells is considered a priority.

Recovery: On 13 October 2000, NASA and ESA facilities detected a brief emission of gamma radiation from a point unassociated with any celestial bodies; further observation detected no objects of interest observable at this point, prompting Foundation investigation of the anomaly. Later investigation via use of SCP-███2 detected the object now classified as SCP-2473.

Based on observations made via SCP-███, it was determined that SCP-2473 was maneuvering with ion-based propulsion systems and navigating towards near-Earth orbit. Monitoring via SCP-███ continued until observation through non-anomalous means could be established, on 15 April 2015. On 4 December 2019, it was determined that SCP-2473 was likely to attempt to land at sub-orbital velocities on the west coast of the North American continent. Negotiations with the US, Canadian, and Mexican armed forces were made to ensure that the Foundation would maintain full custody of the object regardless of landing site in exchange for Gen+ technology prototypes.

On 29 February 2020, SCP-2473 landed at a discreet military base in the Nevadan desert (following several months in near-Earth orbit), apparently having intentionally navigated there. SCP-2473 was successfully transported covertly to Site-43, with further investigation of the object resulting in its current containment status.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License